[ngw] Upgrade migration

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Mar 13 15:12:24 UTC 2018

Something else occurred to me.
You may have an unprintable character in your po database path. Based
on the scrambling of the way it reads nss, I would suspect that folder.
Try shutting down all of the gw and nss services, then rename the nss
folder to something else entirely.
Then rename it back to nss.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 3/13/2018 10:58 AM >>>
Thanks for the info.   Do you think doing a TDR would help with this
problem?  Or is this something that needs specific database tweaks?

I only have one PO, GWIA and MTA running on this server, and I have an
MTA and WebAccess running on another server.

Matt
>>> Hinchman Consulting <gregg at hinchmanconsulting.com> 3/12/2018 4:28
PM >>>
Poa file overrides the admin console/db. The admin unc logs the path
the db.

As for your differing paths and their names could it be links/ alias?

What needs to happen in the end is you need to get the correct unc in
the db.  This will take a bit of effort.

And remember every domain in the system may see something different
when you connect to them

If you need help drop me a line.  Good luck!

Sent from while mobile.

Gregg Hinchman, PMP
Salesforce Certified
765.653.8099

https://fvlgw.fvlhs.org:9710/gwadmin-service/domains/fvlhs/postoffices

> returns a path of
>
> <path>/media/nL</path>
>
> but if I repeat several more identical GET commands, I see:
> <path>/media/n(¤</path>
> <path>/media/n</path>
> <path>/media/nrans </path>
> <path>/media/nallyu </path>
>
> Why is that changing each time?
>
> Does anyone know how I can change that path so that it looks correct
> and does not crash the admin service?
>
> Once I get that to work, I think my upgrade will go just fine.
>
> Matt

AM

> I don't believe the list allows attachments.
> When you tried to browse to the new PO location, were you running
the
> browser from the same server the PO db was on.
> If so were you logged in as root?
> If you run the browser from a different server or PC, it wouldn't be
> able to browse the path.
> -jt
>
> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> hmm...looks like the images from my previous post were stripped.  I
> have
> them attached.
> Hey everyone,
>
> So I gave the upgrade a run and I made it almost to the end and
could
> not get past the very last step.
>
> I did
the migration as James Taylor described (thanks James) and it
> worked beautifully.  I just mounted a share from my new server, and
> the
> data copied beautifully and quickly.  I did a couple of "first"
passes
> and then shut down the GW services and did the "second" dbcopy.  I
ran
> the installer on my new server and it found my domain and everything
> was
> looking good.  I started up the admin console and everything was
> there,
> except my PO, which was still pointing to my old path on the old
> server.
> I think all I had to do was change the path to the PO and everything
> would work.
>
> My old path on OES and NSS was :  /media/nss/GWVOL/teachpo
> and my path on the new server is just /gwdata/teachpo
>
> KABOOM.  If I tried to browse to my new path, I got a "Unable to
> retrieve information from the remote system" error.  No
problem...I'll
> just type it in.
>
> As soon as I type *anything* into the folder field and hit save, I
get
> a very descriptive error at the top of the screen that says " * 0 "
> and
> the gwadmin service immediately crashes.  After trying for about an
> hour
> to get past this, I shut it all down and fired up my o
> riginal server.
>
> But I think I actually copied the error over from my production
> server,
> because when I go to the PO General tab on my working server, it
looks
> like this:
> How is my production server even working?
>

> That folder filed should say:  /media/nss/GWVOL/teachpo
>
> It IS correct on my domain.  That folder says /media/nss/GWVOL/fvlhs
>

> Anyone have an idea on how to either fix my original before I copy
the
> data over, or, change that field name on my new server?
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Matt
>>>>
> Here's a TID with some links.
> https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7013085

> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> Thanks James,
>
> I like the live migration idea to keep downtime to a minimum.  Can
you
> point me to a doc or TID that explains mor
> e on how to do the live
> migration and the cutover procedure?  My database is about 400Gb and
> takes about 3 hours with dbcopy to get a backup.
>
> Matt
AM

> I would suggest that you spin up a new sles12sp3 server and give it
> the
> same name as your existing server, but with a new ip address.
> There will be no external name conflict  because it will not be
> referenced by the new IP.
> You can now do a live initial migration of your database, and only
> have
> to have downtime for the final cutover.
> During the cutover, you can update the migrated database, shut down
> the
> old server and apply it's address as a secondary to the new server.
> This
> has the advantage of making GW more portable, as it is not tied to a
> particular server's base address.
> Just be sure you have your agents configured to use domain names and
> set to use only the address associated with the DNS names in agent
> configs.
>
> If you have need to do this, instead of adding the GW address as a
> secondary, you can just re-IP the new server, but I would only see
the
> need to do that if you are low on IP's for the segment.
> Also, I would recommend XFS for the file systems, root and GW, but
> that
> is matter of persona preference.
> -jt
>
> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> Hi Everyone!
>
> I'm going to do the same upgrade.  I am currently running GW 2014
> (14.2.2) on OES 2015 SP1 with NSS.  This server runs my one domain
and
> one PO, along with GWIA.  I would like to move the server to a new
GW
> 18
> SLES 12 SP3 server
> BUT I would like to keep the same server name and
> IP
> address and I
want the old server unharmed in case things go south.