[ngw] GroupWise 2014 R2 SP3 - WebAccess Enhancement

Matt Weisberg matt at weisberg.net
Fri Mar 23 00:46:22 UTC 2018

This option was added due to a problem caused by the Ghost Pattern Software iOS GroupWise clients.   There is apparently an issue where the client does not terminate connections properly causing an eventual out-of-memory situation in WebAccess.  I had a customer with trouble from this for over 18 months and I know of another customer that had the same issue.  I know MF developers were working directly with Ghost Pattern Software on the problem.  In the meantime, they had to add this option to block that client.

This is the line you add to webacc.cfg to block those clients:

UserAgent.deny=OS 5_0_1, Ghost Pattern Software

The 5_0_1, I believe, is because these clients act like iOS 5 in the agent string (I don't recall the exact reason why, but there was a reason, I think there was a problem with a version of GroupWise blocking access to the proper templates or something like that).

The actual UserAgent string these clients use I believe is:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3

So, my guess is that the OS 5_0_1 is a pattern match.  Hopefully they'll update the docs.

Matt

--
Matt Weisberg
Weisberg Consulting, Inc.