[ngw] GW18 Client Printing Error

Brad Rodgers BRodgers at cesa7.org
Tue Nov 6 14:44:09 UTC 2018

Here is an update on the problem.  I tried changing the HTML Browser setting from Default Browser to Google Chrome.  GroupWise still crashed on printing.

Then I tried deleting all of the printers and clearing the print drivers off her computer as suggested.  I reinstalled our three shared printers via iPrint and things started working again.  I am waiting to see if this fixes the problem or if it will eventually crash again.

Steve,  I have not tried switching the email to text mode.  If GroupWise starts crashing again, I will give that shot.

Thank you for all of help!
Brad

Brad Rodgers
Director of Administrative Technology
920.617.5648
brodgers at cesa7.org

This e-mail message together with any attachments or reply should not be considered private or confidential because it may be archived and subject to public disclosure under certain circumstances, such as requests made pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.

The message is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that the views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cooperative Educational Service Agency #7. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure by you or to any other person is prohibited.

>>> "Stephen Hesser" <shesser at arandpartners.com> 11/5/2018 3:40 PM >>>
One other thing that just popped into my head. When it starts crashing, try changing the view on the email in ? to text mode and try printing it. Most everything is viewed by default in html, which uses the default browser setting. I wonder if switching to text mode view right before you print stops the crash.

>>> "Brad Rodgers" <BRodgers at cesa7.org> 11/5/2018 2:51 PM >>>
Steve and Bill,  thank you for your suggestion about the default browser setting.  I will give that a try first.

Pam, I am going to try Steve's and Bill's suggestion first.  I used to purchase a 5-pack of SRs each year and would normally not have a problem opening one up to get an FTF but that was cut from my budget this year.  If their idea does not work, I will then purchase an SR to get the FTF.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

brodgers at cesa7.org

This e-mail message together with any attachments or reply should not be considered private or confidential because it may be archived and subject to public disclosure under certain circumstances, such as requests made pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.

The message is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that the views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cooperative Educational Service Agency #7. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure by you or to any other person is prohibited.

>>> "Bill Neumann" <Bill.Neumann at willmarfab.com> 11/5/2018 1:54 PM >>>
I have run into what Stephen mentions, with the default browser setting. In several cases, GroupWise crashes when trying to open or print.
Changing to another browser other than IE, has solved the problem for me.

Bill

>>> "Stephen Hesser" <shesser at arandpartners.com> 11/5/2018 12:58 PM >>>
Only other thing I can think of, and this is reaching deep, the faulting dll is one that works with Internet Exploder. On the client setting (tools, options, environment), do you specify a certain browser as default or use default browser? Might try changing this to something other than IE.

>>> "Brad Rodgers" <BRodgers at cesa7.org> 11/5/2018 12:32 PM >>>
Steve,

I would have thought completely reimaging the workstation would have resolved any print driver corruption.

The client crashes before you can select a printer to print to.  Are you thinking I should try removing every printer she has installed on her workstation?

brodgers at cesa7.org

This e-mail message together with any attachments or reply should not be considered private or confidential because it may be archived and subject to public disclosure under certain circumstances, such as requests made pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.

The message is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that the views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cooperative Educational Service Agency #7. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure by you or to any other person is prohibited.

>>> "Stephen Hesser" <shesser at arandpartners.com> 11/5/2018 12:21 PM >>>
I'd try and remove the printer, then remove the entire printer driver from the machine (via the print server). Re-install the printer. If there are any newer version of the print driver, try that also.  I've had the drive become corrupt in the past.

>>> "Brad Rodgers" <BRodgers at cesa7.org> 11/5/2018 12:12 PM >>>
Good afternoon!

I have one particular user who cannot print from the GW 18 client.  When she tries to print, the client crashes and closes.  The Event Viewer shows the following error:

Faulting application name: grpwise.exe, version 18.0.2.41348, time stamp 0x5b541934
Faulting module name: mshtml.dll, version 11.0.14393.2580, time stamp 0x5bbd70ac

The frustrating thing is I can usually resolve the problem but it always reappears.  Sometimes it will reappear within few hours and other times it will reappear the next day.  I am at a total loss not knowing how to permanently fix the problem.

So far I have done the following:

1) Reinstalled the GW client.
2) Uninstalled and reinstalled the GW client.
3) Deleted the GroupWise folders out of <User Profile>\AppData & registry entries and reinstalled.
4) Deleted the GroupWise folders out of <User Profile>\AppData & registry entries, uninstalled, and reinstalled.
5) Deleted and recreated the Windows user account and profile.
6) Completely reimaged computer with our standard imaged used everywhere else.

She is the only user in our organization with this problem.  Does anyone have any other thoughts on what I could do?

Thank you!

brodgers at cesa7.org