[ngw] GW 18.1 Complaints
pkrobello at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:02:31 UTC 2018
My answers / opinions are below your comments.
>>> Marvin Huffaker<mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 11/12/2018 12:41 PM >>>
I really dislike the following in the GroupWise 18.1 build:
1) The new colors on the WebAccess splash screen. They look like a throwback to the horrible color scheme of gw2012 (Before they switched back to Novell Red and then over to Attachmate Blue before finally going to Micro Focus Blue with 18.x). Also the contrast is off and the "gear" icon for the settings is barely visible. Also, I have to go rebuild any custom logos that I put in using the previous color of blue, and change it to work with the new color. I'm unclear what the issue was with the previous color scheme, I thought it was actually one of the better ones. More time and resources should be spent on system stability issues (POA Crashes) instead of frivolous color changes.
I have to admit that I haven't any strong feelings about this one way or the other. I don't use WA enough for it to annoy me.
2) The revised FIND function. The original way to find via CTRL-F brings up this limited dialog box that is difficult to use and doesn't include the ability to easily choose a date, nor does it even have the option to choose certain folders to look in. I have to click "More Options" to bring up the old dialog and do the search. Then after I choose the options I need and hit okay (On the original find dialog), it switches out of the dialog and brings up the results in the new dialog in my main window. It's very clicky and cumbersome and not very functional at all. And once I've seen my results, I can't easily modify it to search for other criteria, (For example, change the date range) because the option has been taken away from the results dialog completely. I can't find a way to even get back to my original query screen without starting over. While I appreciate the fact that I can get to the Older style dialog, I despise the fact that in the process of doing a simple find, I'm required to switch back and forth between new and old dialogs multiple times. And I have to start over completely if I want to modify something as simple as the date range.
I have been struggling with this one as well. Engineering has fixed some of the issues I have found but not others. I am finding that with more use I am getting used to it. I can't say that I am liking it yet but I am getting used to it. If you find issues with it, let us know and we can get them reported to engineering. They have been very keen on getting quirky stuff fixed quickly.
3) The Smart Sizer thing on the QuickViewer. I don't need my screen jumping around back and forth with each message I select. Just like the Message Threading that was introduced in 18.0, I immediately turned this function off to avoid going insane.
Ok, I have to admit I am totally with you on the Smart Sizer. I don't use QV as a rule but I did have to turn it on last week to duplicate an issue for a customer and having the window move all over with the size of the message was beyond annoying. This one can be turned off globally by pushing out a registry setting change with something ZEN. I have been using Message Threading and while I don't love it yet, I am liking it more and more. This one ca be turned off globally by going into client options at the domain or the post office level, on the general settings and uncheck Enable conversation threading. You can also lock it at the domain or post office level so the user won't be able to turn it on.
4) The new Options Buttons that were introduced in 18.0 and just starting to make sense and become understood by the masses have suddenly been replaced with an even more confusing Gear Icon and a drop down with too many options that are even more confusing. I do like the functions presented with the "Main Window Settings" , but that is really confusing because then there is also a "Mailbox Display Settings" with the original dialog options introduced in gw18. It's confusing to have two different locations for functions that could easily be grouped together.
This is another one that I didn't use often enough in 18.0.x to form an opinion. I have been using the 18.1 client for much longer so I have gotten used to it there. I do like that it is under the Gear icon but I can see where users would find it more difficult to use
5) And I don't like how many of these new options cannot be controlled globally, but must be configured at each workstation individually. Customers have been asking for the ability to standardize and customize the look and feel from a global level for years, and GroupWise team continues to ignore this with every release while adding in even more options that can't be controlled globally.
This is another one where I am with you 100%. Some options you can't change without a visit to every workstation. Some you can change by pushing out a registry setting change while others you can change in the admin console. I wish we could change every setting in the admin console but that has yet to come about. I know that people put in enhancement requests for it with every version so hopefully one of these days.....
More information about the ngw