[ngw] GW18 Client Printing Error

Stephen Hesser shesser at arandpartners.com
Fri Nov 16 17:41:53 UTC 2018

Sounds like you found the needle! Nothing worst than a crappy print
driver. Even worse than that, Windows 10......

>>> "Brad Rodgers" <BRodgers at cesa7.org> 11/16/2018 11:20 AM >>>
Here is an update to my problem with the GW18 client crashing when
trying to print.  At Pam's request I opened an SR with Micro Focus.
The
support engineer requested that I collect a Windows dump file when
GroupWise crashed.

During my attempt to collect the requested dump file, I accidentally
discovered that the default printer on the workstation was currently
set
to the locally attached Dynamo label printer, which is unique to this
user.  Upon further testing, I determined that GroupWise will always
crash when printing when the label printer is set as the default.

The reason why this problem has been inconsistent is because one of
the
new "features" of Windows 10 is to automatically set the default
printer
to the last used printer.  Since GroupWise would close before the
print
dialog box appeared, I never connected the two together.

I ran the following tests to confirm:

1) Print label with Dynamo software --> Print email --> GW crash
2) Print label --> Print Word doc to shared printer --> Print email
-->
GW fine
3) Force shared printer as default --> Print label to label printer
-->
Print email --> GW fine
4) Force label printer as default --> Print label --> Print email -->
GW crash

I ultimately forced Windows to keep the shared printer as default and
that appears to have fixed the problem.

I reported my findings to the MF support engineer.  He still wanted me
to upload the dump file to the Novell FTP server and gave me a newer
build of the 18.0.2 client which did not resolve the problem.  He
closed
and refunded the SR citing this as a bug and has sent it up the
developers.

-Brad

Brad Rodgers
Director of Administrative Technology
920.617.5648
brodgers at cesa7.org

This e-mail message together with any attachments or reply should not
be
considered private or confidential because it may be archived and
subject to public disclosure under certain circumstances, such as
requests made pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.

The message is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to which they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this
e-mail from your system. Please note that the views or opinions
presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Cooperative Educational Service Agency
#7. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure by you
or
to any other person is prohibited.

>>> Brad Rodgers 11/6/2018 8:50 AM >>>
Thank you David for going through your notes and find this!  I
appreciate it.

The user is printing emails from her own mailbox.  I did check what
proxy rights she has granted and the only thing that is set is the
"All
User Access" has read rights to her appointments.

brodgers at cesa7.org

>>> "David Gerisch" <DGerisch at co.tulare.ca.us> 11/5/2018 5:56 PM >>>
In GroupWise 14R2, I have a user with an attempt-to-print-causes-crash
error; but, we got it isolated to calendar printing via proxy as the
problem.  Our secretary was attempting to print out the daily calendar
of our director, and it would crash hard.

>From my notes: "but eventually we figure out that if (the director)
has
given anyone proxy write access to appointments, then yes the Franklin
print calendar will crash the GroupWise client hard. If (the director)
gives the proxy user read-only access, the Franklin print calendar
function prints fine. (Co-worker) later discovers that with write
access, the print function won't crash, if Tasks is de-selected."

David Gerisch, IT Systems Administrator
Tulare County Information and Communications Technology
dgerisch at co.tulare.ca.us

>>> "Brad Rodgers" <BRodgers at cesa7.org> 2018-11-05 10:12 >>>
Good afternoon!

I have one particular user who cannot print from the GW 18 client.
When she tries to print, the client crashes and closes.  The Eve
nt
Viewer shows the following error:

Faulting application name: grpwise.exe, version 18.0.2.41348, time
stamp 0x5b541934
Faulting module name: mshtml.dll, version 11.0.14393.2580, time stamp
0x5bbd70ac

The frustrating thing is I can usually resolve the problem but it
always reappears.  Sometimes it will reappear within few hours and
other
times it will reappear the next day.  I am at a total loss not knowing
how to permanently fix the problem.

So far I have done the following:

1) Reinstalled the GW client.
2) Uninstalled and reinstalled the GW client.
3) Deleted the GroupWise folders out of <User Profile>\AppData &
registry entries and reinstalled.
4) Deleted the GroupWise folders out of <User Profile>\AppData &
registry entries, uninstalled, and reinstalled.
5) Deleted and recreated the Windows user account and profile.
6) Completely reimaged computer with our standard imaged used
everywhere else.

She is the only user in our organization with this problem.  Does
anyone have any other thoughts on what I could do?

Thank you!

#7. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure by you
or
to any other person is prohibited.