[ngw] Antw: delay in sending email/email being blocked

Matt Schlawin MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG
Sun Oct 7 19:19:35 UTC 2018

Thank-you for all the responses.  I do indeed have several configuration
things going on.

My ISP should be making the changes to fix the configuration issues.
Hopefully that will fix the blocking issues.  I did not realize I had an
old PTR record referencing a non-existent spam filter.

When I remove the SMG IP address from GWIA, all sent items go out
immediately with no delay.  I'm still not sure if that connection
problem will be fixed, but for now I'm going to wait and see what the
DNS changes do.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Matt
>>> "Thomas Stimper" <tstimper at nmedv.de> 10/7/2018 6:02 AM >>>
Hi Matt,

1. your dns entries for your  mx record are missconfigured

- SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch 	Reverse DNS does not contain the
hostname

2. your SMG is missconfigured

- SMTP Banner Check 	Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Both can be the cause of delays  because the receiving email server
will greylist or connection drop
until you try many times.

Best regards

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thomas Stimper

MCNE
Micro Focus Premier Solution Partner
neue medien edv-systeme gmbh
Zwickauer Str. 224
09116 Chemnitz
Germany
Email tstimper at nmedv.de ( mailto:tstimper at nmedv.de )
Tel. +49 371 8448890
Fax +49 371 8448891
Amtsgericht / local court Chemnitz, HRB 12552
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Thomas Stimper
USt.ID / VAT DE176096756

>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 07.10.2018 01:57 >>>
Hello everyone,

I have several GW email issues that I'm hoping someone here can help
with.  I have been running a GW 2014 R2 server on OES for several
years.
This server has been migrated from Netware and gone through upgrade
after upgrade.  A couple of months ago I migrated the server to a
brand
new SLES 12 box in preparation for the 2018 upgrade.  (Have not got to
that yet....)  We are using MF Secure Messaging Gateway for our spam
filter.  We route outbound through SMG as well.

Recently I have been getting reports of 1)  delays in sending email
and 2) email being blocked.   I don't know if I have two different
issues going on here, or just one misconfiguration that is causing
both.
  I'm not sure if it's GW or SMG causing the problems.

1)  delays in sending.  At 3:58 today I sent an email to my gmail
account.  I forward all my gmail email to GW, so normally it gets
returned to my GW box in a minute or so.  It is now 5:50 and it still
has not made it to my gmail account.  In sent items under properties I
see this:

Transfer Delayed   10/6/2018 3:58 PM
Transfer Delayed  10/6/2018 4:18 PM
Transfer Delayed  10/6/2018 4:38 PM
Transfer Delayed  10/6/2018 4:58 PM
I've been looking through PO, MTA and GWIA logs but I'm not really
sure
what I'm looking for.  SMG message tracker does not show this email at
all.

2)  email getting blocked.
The head of the soccer league has emailed an excel spreadsheet to
three
people in our building for the last seven weeks.  The first five weeks
went through with no problem and the last two have bounced back.  SMG
message tracker shows:  Delivery statuses: 451 System error, please
retry later

I tried to send an excel spreadsheet to someone I email on a regular
basis and it bounced with this email:
Transcript of session follows:   Command:  Data...  Response: 550
permanent failure for one or more recipients

I retried later and it went through.

Are #1 and #2 related as one thing mis-configured?  I do have and open
GWAVA tech support ticket, but so far we have not figured out what is
happening.

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing these issues?  I'm going to
turn on verbose logging and see if I can get more information.  These
error seem pretty sporadic and not a widespread issue.  If you are
reading this, it must have sent!

Thanks for any help!
Matt