[ngw] Antw: GMS + SLES + HyperV

Denis Jedig denis.jedig at th-koeln.de
Wed Apr 3 08:58:49 UTC 2019

This could be literally anything in the stack - host-side memory
corruption, backend storage issues, storage bus problems,
misconfiguration, networking issues (assuming the corruption might be
happening as the result of a live VM migration) or even a bug in the
paravirtualized drivers or the filesystem drivers on the guest's side.
As SLES is a supported OS on Hyper-V (see
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/supported-suse-virtual-machines-on-hyper-v)
and GroupWise is supported on Hyper-V as
well(https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014r2/gw2014_guide_install/data/inst_req_support_hyperv.html),
I'd recommend opening service requests with as many vendors as possible,
namely
	●  Microsoft
	●  MicroFocus
	●  SuSE
	●  the hardware vendor of the Hyper-V host hardware
	●  the vendor of the backend storage
to at least make sure there are no obvious or known issues with the
configuration you're running.

Regards,

-- ______________________________Denis JedigCampus Management und
Office IT Campus IT Entwicklungwww.campus-it.th-koeln.deTH
KölnBetzdorfer Str. 250679 Kölnemail: denis.jedig at th-koeln.dephone:
+49 221 8275 2590Support der Campus IT:email:
support at campus-it.th-koeln.dephone: +49 221 8275 2323

>>> "Marvin Huffaker" <mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 03.04.2019 02:53 >>>
I have a customer that is a Windows shop running on HyperV.  Twice in
the last 6 months, their GMS system has gone corrupted beyond repair.
Meaning on reboot it couldn't mount the file system and a manual fsck
resulted in 100,000's of errors.   Needless to say, even after the
repairs the system was trashed and I had to rebuild it from scratch.

Is there something about SLES on HYPERV that makes it more susceptible
to corruption?  I have never experienced this kind of issue running on
VMWARE.

Thanks.

Marvin