[ngw] GMS + SLES + HyperV

Scott Malugin smalugin at dcbe.org
Thu Apr 4 03:05:23 UTC 2019

Why is BTRFS not supported it is the default file system for SLES? I
miss that on one of my GMS systems, so far it is running fine. What if
any problem could I see out of it running on BTRFS?

Scott E. Malugin
Dickson County Schools
Network & Systems Admin
Voice # 615-740-5902
E-Mail : smalugin at dcbe.org

LEGAL CONFIDENTIAL:  The information in this e-mail and in any
attachment may contain information which is legally privileged and is
the property of the Dickson County Schools.  It is intended only for the
attention and use of the named recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to retain, disclose, copy or
distribute the message and/or any of its attachments.  If you received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this message.

>>> Pam Robello <pkrobello at gmail.com> 4/3/2019 7:00 PM >>>
One last little tidbit from me....GMS is not supported running on a
BTRFS
file system.  We recommend EXT4 for SLES 12 and 15

Pam

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 4:33 PM Matt Weisberg <matt at weisberg.net>
wrote:

> I'll just chime in here too and mention that I have another site that
was
> running multiple GMS servers under Hyper-V (both SLES 11 and 12) for
many
> years with no issues at all (I say was because they migrated to
Office 365
> this past December).  This site had well over 50 SLES VMs (several GW
POs)
> running in 2 different large Hyper-V clusters, so I can attest that
SLES

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/supported-suse-virtual-machines-on-hyper-v

>	 Joe
>
>	 On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:36 AM Bruce Perrin <
> Bruce.Perrin at lbb.texas.gov>
>	 wrote:
>
>	 > Marvin,
>	 >
>	 > Are they doing anything 'special' with the VM ( replicating,
doing
>	 > backups, etc) ? I mean, we have had 3 GMS hosts up on HyperV
since
> gms
>	 > first came out with no issues that weren't caused by me.
>	 >
>	 > What version of Windows Server are they running? What version
of
> SLES?
>	 >
>	 > -bruce
>	 > >>> <pkrobello at gmail.com> 4/3/2019 10:21 AM >>>
>	 >
>	 > Hi Marvin,
>	 >
>	 > This does not appear to be a GMS issue however this is a
> configuration
>	 > that our test teams are not familiar with.  You will likely
need to
> work
>	 > with the SLES team if this happens again so they can
determine what
> the
>	 > problem is.
>	 >
>	 > Thanks,
>	 >
>	 > Pam
>	 >
>	 > >>> Marvin Huffaker<mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 4/2/2019 6:53 PM
>>>
>	 > I have a customer that is a Windows shop running on HyperV.
Twice
> in the
>	 > last 6 months, their GMS system has gone corrupted beyond
repair.
> Meaning
>	 > on reboot it couldn't mount the file system and a manual
fsck
> resulted in
>	 > 100,000's of errors.   Needless to say, even after the
repairs the