[ngw] GMS + SLES + HyperV

Jeanette Berg jberg at digitalcsi.com
Thu Apr 4 16:56:51 UTC 2019

The GMS 18 documentation does mention that EXT4 should be used over the
default BTRFS

see

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gwmob18_guide_install/data/inst_req_server.html

On 4/4/2019 at 2:06 AM, "David Krotil" <David.Krotil at hilo.cz> wrote:
BTRFS is option for pure OS partitions, but hey, why on GMS data
partition ? Make no sense at all, there are sooo many files creates
and
deletes, you will need unlimited space for it.
D.

e-mailové zprávy.

Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not
the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be
about it.

>>> "Marvin Huffaker" <mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 04.04.2019 8:36 >>>
The first time I accidentally used BTRFS, I kept getting out of space
errors trying to run GMS even though there was plenty of space.  Micro
Focus support scolded me, told me to rebuild it, and never look at
BTRFS
again. lol

Marvin
>>> "Scott Malugin" <smalugin at dcbe.org> 4/3/2019 8:05 PM >>>
Why is BTRFS not supported it is the default file system for SLES? I
miss that on one of my GMS systems, so far it is running fine. What if
any problem could I see out of it running on BTRFS?

Scott E. Malugin
Dickson County Schools
Network & Systems Admin
Voice # 615-740-5902
E-Mail : smalugin at dcbe.org

LEGAL CONFIDENTIAL:  The information in this e-mail and in any
attachment may contain information which is legally privileged and is
the property of the Dickson County Schools.  It is intended only for
the
attention and use of the named recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to retain, disclose, copy or
distribute the message and/or any of its attachments.  If you received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this
message.

>>> Pam Robello <pkrobello at gmail.com> 4/3/2019 7:00 PM >>>
One last little tidbit from me....GMS is not supported running on a
BTRFS
file system.  We recommend EXT4 for SLES 12 and 15

Pam

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 4:33 PM Matt Weisberg <matt at weisberg.net>
wrote:

> I'll just chime in here too and mention that I have another site
that
was
> running multiple GMS servers under Hyper-V (both SLES 11 and 12) for
many
> years with no issues at all (I say was because they migrated to
Office 365
> this past December).  This site had well over 50 SLES VMs (several
GW
POs)
> running in 2 different large Hyper-V clusters, so I can attest that
SLES
> 11, 12 and 15 all run fine under Hyper-V as well.
>
> I'll echo Joe's comment to make sure the Hyper-V integration tools
are
> loaded (included in the SLES distro).  I also do typically use the
kernel
> option elevator=noop for these VMs too.
>
> As for file systems, I've run ext 2, 3, 4, btrfs, xfs, and nss all
under
> Hyper-V without issue.
>
> The SLES support folks may be of more help on this one though, so
that may
> be a route to take.
>
> All that said, I still prefer VMWare!  Hyper-V is a confusing mess
me!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/supported-suse-virtual-machines-on-hyper-v

>	 Joe
>
>	 On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:36 AM Bruce Perrin <
> Bruce.Perrin at lbb.texas.gov>
>	 wrote:
>
>	 > Marvin,
>	 >
>	 > Are they doing anything 'special' with the VM ( replicating,
doing
>	 > backups, etc) ? I mean, we have had 3 GMS hosts up on HyperV
since
> gms
>	 > first came out with no issues that weren't caused by me.
>	 >
>	 > What version of Windows Server are they running? What
version
of
> SLES?
>	 >
>	 > -bruce
>	 > >>> <pkrobello at gmail.com> 4/3/2019 10:21 AM >>>
>	 >
>	 > Hi Marvin,
>	 >
>	 > This does not appear to be a GMS issue however this is a
> configuration
>	 > that our test teams are not familiar with.  You will likely
need to
> work
>	 > with the SLES team if this happens again so they can
determine what
> the
>	 > problem is.
>	 >
>	 > Thanks,
>	 >
>	 > Pam
>	 >
>	 > >>> Marvin Huffaker<mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 4/2/2019 6:53 PM
>>>
>	 > I have a customer that is a Windows shop running on HyperV.
Twice
> in the
>	 > last 6 months, their GMS system has gone corrupted beyond
repair.
> Meaning
>	 > on reboot it couldn't mount the file system and a manual
fsck
> resulted in
>	 > 100,000's of errors.   Needless to say, even after the
repairs the