[ngw] Maximum Physical Database Size
mhuffaker at redjuju.com
Fri Jun 21 17:13:48 UTC 2019
Michael, Yes.. Good catch. I think it would be safe to assume the database limitations would apply to both the ofuser and ofmsg databases. I'm approaching this situation from the standpoint that I absolutely need to get that file size reduced significantly.
Regarding trying to find offending users.. I don't think it's that cut and dry. the ofmsg databases don't hold a ton of data per message, if I recall they just hold the body of a message up to 2KB, then anything else gets shoved out to blob files. And of course any attachments, they don't go into the database either, they automatically go to the blob files. (I could be mistaken on that figure but if I rack my brain and go back to when I used to have to think about how messages were stored, that's what I recall -- ofuser holds the header, ofmsg holds text of message up to 2kb, then offiles holds the rest and/or attachments)..
So the msg3.db file is likely millions and millions of "2kb parts" of email messages that have built up over the years.. But not the big parts. Just regular parts. And if someone sent a message to multiple users, just deleting it from one mailbox won't necessarily delete it out of the database if another user was copied on it and still has a copy in their mailbox. A good example of this is the fact that in an attempt to free up space, one 2GB user Account that was tied to msg3.db was moved to an entirely different post office. Then a reduce was run on the post office and despite that user being gone, it did not reduce the size of that db file at all and msg3.db still sits at 4gb.
So I'm perplexed. Cutting it down a little will help but is not a long term fix. I need to cut it down drastically. I'm currently running mailbox stats so I can get a better picture of the entire situation and all users that might be tied to that database.. From there I hope to see something that stands out and points me in the right direction. There are about 1000 users in this post office and it's been around for about 20 years at a minimum.
>>> "Michael Statman" <Mike at EMESConsulting.Net> 6/21/2019 12:45 PM >>>
2014r2 doc states: "User databases (userxxx.db files) might contain large numbers of contacts and folders. Contacts and folders affect the size of the user databases, which have a maximum size of 4 GB, but do not count against the mailbox size for users." I didn't find it stated as such, but presumably this is a hard limit that applies to the message db as well.
As to resolution... find out which users are associated to msg3.db ( see e.g. https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7013421 ) and then take a look at those mailboxes in particular for cleanup. I'd suspect just one or maybe a couple users are the culprits.
>>> "Marvin Huffaker" <mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 6/21/2019 12:07 PM >>>
Is there a hardset limit on the maximum physical size of the message databases? Either in the ofmsg or ofuser folders? (I'm not talking user quotas, I'm talking raw database files).
In all the years I've worked with GroupWise I've never run into this situation. I have one file in the ofmsg folder that is 4GB and that seems to be the problem.. So is it a hardset limit of 4GB? How would I go about resolving this? I think I could probably do a reduce expire to get some temporary relief but it doesn't seem like a long term fix.
Here's the error:
"Error that occurred: C05C-The Database has reached its maximum size"
Look at the file below "msg3.db" is 4.0GB in size..
mdlxgw01:/srv/gwdata/bannerpo/ofmsg # ls -alh | grep G
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1G Jun 21 12:01 msg120.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Jun 21 12:02 msg136.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.7G Jun 21 12:01 msg148.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1G Jun 21 12:03 msg152.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1G Jun 21 12:04 msg178.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1G Jun 21 11:52 msg211.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.5G Jun 21 11:57 msg246.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.0G Jun 21 12:04 msg3.db
More information about the ngw