[ngw] GWAVA and SPF

Ken Etter KLE at msktd.com
Mon Oct 14 16:38:33 UTC 2019

I assume you have an open SR on this?  Maybe ask for an escalation?  Or you could report the lack of response here: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Talk-to-a-Technical-Services/bd-p/Manager

In the meantime, you can just put an exception in place to permit those emails to get through.  Not the best solution, but a workaround until the bug is fixed.

Ken
>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 10/14/2019 12:25 PM >>>
More info:
if you go to https://www.dmarcanalyzer.com/spf/checker/

run a check on veeam.com
at the bottom you'll see the reference to salesforce.com which is a little "odd" (but it should work)... this is where gwava chokes. Salesforce uses a macro of %(i).. and I dont think gwava knows how to handle it. So emails get blocked per SPF rule.

_spf.salesforce.com
We did not find problems with your SPF record.
DNS record 1 lookups
v=spf1 exists:%{i}._spf.mta.salesforce.com -all
%{i}._spf.mta.salesforce.com
Example : 192.0.2.3._spf.mta.salesforce.com
%{i}
The IP address of the sender (Example : 192.0.2.3)

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 10/14/2019 9:00 AM >>>
We're using gwava/MF hosted version of "message security", which I believe is Gwava 7. Yes I've checked if the companies have salesforce included in their records. It defniitely happens with Veeam support emails. I actually pinged Joe Marton (former Novell/MF, currently at Veeam last I checked) and we concluded gwava just isn't handling those redirected emails properly. It's rather easy to duplicate.. enable SPF checking and open a support ticket wth Veeam or whoever else uses salesforce to send emails on their behalf.

Quotes from ex-gwava employee:

"Ok. Took them a while to run a test, hence why the delay, but they got back to me when I pinged them just now. We are not handling that macro correctly. Development is fully aware of it and going to get that squared away.

The only way to address those messages is enter in an exception either on the ipaddresses, the domains, including salesforce and link that up to the SPF.

Bug Number: GWAV-2747"

"As for the SalesForce bug, thank you again for the logs and what you have been able to give more information. The developer did say he looked at it, and was not able to find anything particularly out of the ordinary with how it was working on with the SPF and that particular syntax with salesforce. Yet, he did say he made a change in this latest build. Sadly though, it didn't fix it and I did notify him earlier that it is still an issue. The difficulty with that one is we are unable to duplicate. Nevertheless, we are still working on it and I will let you know about that issue."

>>> Brad Rodgers <brodgers at cesa7.org> 10/14/2019 5:51 AM >>>
Joe,

Have you checked whether or not the sending domain using Salesforce has
included Salesforce in their SPF record published in DNS?  If they have not
then SPF is working as designed and the problem needs to be resolved on the
other end.

-Brad

*Brad Rodgers*
Director of Administrative Technology
920.617.5648
brodgers at cesa7.org
<https://www.cesa7.org/>

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 7:39 AM Ken Etter <KLE at msktd.com> wrote:

> Not sure what bug you are referring to, but we use SPF on GWAVA 7 without
> any issues.
> Ken
> Anyone else blocking SPF with gwava? I reported this bug months ago and no
> progress.. since most support companies use salesforce (I believe MF is one
> of them)... everything gets categorized as SPF coming from salesforce on
> behalf of a dif domain.

*
*
*
*
*This e-mail message together with any attachments or reply should
not be considered private or confidential because it may be archived and
subject to public disclosure under certain circumstances, such as requests
made pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.*
*
*
*The message is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
Please note that the views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cooperative
Educational Service Agency #7. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying
or disclosure by you or to any other person is prohibited.*