[ngw] GW 18 Mobility, IOS13 and printing

Stephen Hesser shesser at arandpartners.com
Tue Oct 27 12:51:24 UTC 2020

Here's an apple blurb on the cert thing.
https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT210176
I followed the admin guide to install the new cert, wasn't to bad
https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gwmob18_guide_admin/data/admin_sec_admin.html

The devices will take the new cert with no interaction from the user. I
ran into this after users were purchasing new devices and the old self
signed cert was not on the new device. If you upgraded the ios from 12
to 13, the device kept working fine because it still had the cert on it.
Anything new with ios13, didn't.
For what ever reason, android don't care......

>>> "Marvin Huffaker" <mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 10/26/2020 9:42 PM >>>
You can use Letsencrypt to obtain a free cert and install on GMS.  To
be honest, it's a hassle because you have to renew it every 90 days and
then copy it into the gms .pem files.   I prefer to just suck it up and
use a purchased 3rd party cert that I can install and forget about.   If
you use a wildcard cert it's more flexible and can be used for multiple
systems at your company.
>>> "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> 10/26/2020 8:21 PM >>>
GW Mobility

Over the weekend I upgraded a small user to OES2018 and GW18.2. I also
installed GW Mobilty 18.2 on SLES 12SP5 to a spare i5 unit hehad. He
only has about 10 users, of which two have the latest iPhones with IOS
13.7 on them.

Mobility is working fine with their Android Devices such as the Samsung
S10.

With the Apple devices I am aware that there are certificate issues. Is
GW Mobility capable of generating a certificate that can be used? I have
seen Dsapp, but I believe it has been obsoleted, but I did try it, but
without success. I may have done something wrong, however. I generated a
key called mobility.cer but on the device (my android as a test unit) it
said it needed a private key, but would not give me the option to enter
one. The message would flash up then disappear.

Is there a better solution than mucking around with third party
certificates for only two users? And if we have to purchase third party
certificates, how do we incorporate them into GW Mobility? And then down
to the devices?

Printing

The client had been on GW18.0. They would receive orders containing XML
files, and they would print them out. The font was quite large and
readable. In the GW18.2 client, when repeating the same process, the
font is small and contains header lines. Adjusting the "Print Options"
in the dialog box does not seem to have any effect, except to make
things smaller if we choose a larger font size. I have put them back to
18.0 in the meantime, and that is a workaround. However I will need to
come up with a proper solution. Any ideas?

As an aside, the client was coming up from SLES11/OES2015SP1 and is the
fourth upgrade out of five where the upgrade fails on updating then
bringing up the eDirectory. I had to nuke, and then restore files.

Many thanks

Craig Meads

11 Gover St, PO Box 279
New Plymouth 4340, New Zealand