[ngw] GW 18 Mobility, IOS13 and printing

Craig Meads craigm at cwise.co.nz
Wed Oct 28 01:55:08 UTC 2020

Thanks Simon

I think the issue I had was different though to what I saw on the Community Thread. In my case, it would error out on trying to bring up the eDirectory, and in the Details page, you could see Name resolution failed: Error = 634, and then further down "ndsconfig return value = 56"

I did actually do something similar to what you suggested at another site, and it went through, and users could logon etc. However, Netstorage wouldn't load, and I discovered that Xtier was gone.

Micro Focus Support in Australia and India looked at it remotely, and couldn't resolve it. I nuked and started from scratch.

There is something really fragile in the upgrade. I setup two identical machines with SLES11SP4 and OES2015SP1, and created five users in each under iManager, which was correctly configured for Roles and Tasks.

I then did test updates on both with OES2018SP2, one worked, the other didn't.

I repeated the exercise and used OES2018SP1, and neither worked.

We have some larger sites to do before the end of the year, and we will probably just nuke and start again rather than muck around with flakey programming.

Cheers

Craig
>>> "Simon Shilton" <Simon.Shilton at acustica.co.uk> 27/10/2020 23:49 >>>
Hi Craig

I am in the UK and support appeared to come from Europe rather than the US, possibly they have support to cover your timezone?

after the fact I found a Community thread which included the solution used:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/OES-User-Discussions/OES2018-upgrade-hangs-can-t-complete/m-p/2416379#M27949

"As a workaround, I would suggest aborting the OES configuration wizard and allow the OS to load the desktop. Open the following file for editing: /etc/sysconfig/novell/edir_oes2018. Change the line that reads, "SERVICE_CONFIGURED="no"" to "yes". Save and close. Repeat the process for any file in the same directory that begins with "edir" (i.e. eDir_oes2015_sp1). All of these files need to be configured to "yes".

Open YaST2 and start the "OES Install and Configuration" wizard. Proceed with the configuration of OES services. If the prior steps were executed properly, the wizard will skip eDirectory configuration and move on to the next service. "

Simon

>>> On 27 October 2020 at 10:38, in message <5F97F8A80200004F000246F0 at 192.168.10.1>, "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> wrote:

That's interesting Simon. Because of the time zone differences between us and Support  I would struggle to get remote support at the time of upgrade. Do you know what they did to the script,  or has it been fixed in a later download of OES2018SP2? Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.<div>
>>> "Simon Shilton" <Simon.Shilton at acustica.co.uk> 10/27/2020 23:30 >>>
"As an aside, the client was coming up from SLES11/OES2015SP1 and is the fourth upgrade out of five where the upgrade fails on updating then bringing up the eDirectory. I had to nuke, and then restore files."

I had this problem, in the end Support came in and took me through the upgrade and stepped in when it failed. Apparently a old known bug in the scripts where are No does eDir exist, should be a yes. Support fixed the two instances in the script and the reran the OES install/upgrade and all came good.

I had problems with the upgrade to GW webaccess, so in the end I blew it away and setup gwweb on sles15sp1 which may not be fully featured yet, but is a much nicer experience.

Simon

>>> On 27 October 2020 at 00:21, in message <5F97681F0200004F000246BB at 192.168.10.1>, "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> wrote:
GW Mobility

Over the weekend I upgraded a small user to OES2018 and GW18.2. I also installed GW Mobilty 18.2 on SLES 12SP5 to a spare i5 unit hehad. He only has about 10 users, of which two have the latest iPhones with IOS 13.7 on them.

Mobility is working fine with their Android Devices such as the Samsung S10.

With the Apple devices I am aware that there are certificate issues. Is GW Mobility capable of generating a certificate that can be used? I have seen Dsapp, but I believe it has been obsoleted, but I did try it, but without success. I may have done something wrong, however. I generated a key called mobility.cer but on the device (my android as a test unit) it said it needed a private key, but would not give me the option to enter one. The message would flash up then disappear.

Is there a better solution than mucking around with third party certificates for only two users? And if we have to purchase third party certificates, how do we incorporate them into GW Mobility? And then down to the devices?

Printing

The client had been on GW18.0. They would receive orders containing XML files, and they would print them out. The font was quite large and readable. In the GW18.2 client, when repeating the same process, the font is small and contains header lines. Adjusting the "Print Options" in the dialog box does not seem to have any effect, except to make things smaller if we choose a larger font size. I have put them back to 18.0 in the meantime, and that is a workaround. However I will need to come up with a proper solution. Any ideas?

As an aside, the client was coming up from SLES11/OES2015SP1 and is the fourth upgrade out of five where the upgrade fails on updating then bringing up the eDirectory. I had to nuke, and then restore files.

Many thanks

Craig Meads

11 Gover St, PO Box 279
New Plymouth 4340, New Zealand