[ngw] GraoupWise Mobility service 14.2.2 to 18.4

Ian Young iyoung at graphic.plc.uk
Thu Jun 30 10:51:07 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Thank you to James, Georg and Marvin for their replies. I've now swapped over the GMS server and except for a firewall port I'd missed, all went ok. Two phones that had given up working, started working correctly. Your help is greatly appreciated.

With thanks

>>> "Marvin Huffaker" <mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 24/05/2022 21:19 >>>
I find that changing the IP Address of a GMS server after it's been installed/configured with users provisioned is a major hassle... So for that reason I generally install a new server (as I do for all upgrades).. And then to cutover I change the incoming firewall/nat rules or whatever to route traffic to the new server rather than the old one. Then the old server just kind of goes away.

And also I have done enough in place upgrades as well as attempted migrations, and it's just not worth the pain of trying to migrate data or upgrade in place. Always install new and just re-provision users.  It's so much cleaner and simpler in the long run.  I can't think of any good reason to try to migrate data when it can be easily re-populated on a newly built server.

Furthermore.. To James's point.. 18.4 (And I believe 18.3.1) will not allow you to upgrade anyway. The installer will balk and tell you it requires a new install. It will not let you proceed.  And to further discuss this issue, I have attempted to hack my way around this requirement and tried to upgrade anyway.  I just ended up destroying the server.

If you do a cutover like mentioned in the first paragraph, most users won't notice anything. They'll just start talking to the new server and life goes on.  There's always a handful of devices that need to be kicked a little but I'd say that applies to 3-4% of your user base.

Marvin
>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 5/23/2022 12:20 PM >>>
Hi Georg -
I agree with what you say in general, but in practice, I have found a very low percentage of users make any changes in the defaults for their devices.
The ones that do are generally pretty high profile and known to the administrators.
A lot depends on the type of business and the user base, so there is no one-size fits.
However, the effort and risk of sequentially upgrading from 14.2.2  to 18.4 would be high, even if it could be done.
The is no upgrade path from the earlier versions to the latest ones because of platform compatibility issues.
There may be a few postgres wizards that could migrate the database information, I suppose...
-jt

>>> "Georg Fritsch FCP" <gf at fcp.at> 5/23/2022 11:45 AM >>>
Hi!

How do you move the user settings? Just provisioning the same users on a new server is not good enough.

e.g.
Device settings per user: Selected folders for sync
GroupWise settings per user: Selected address books for sync, Mobility default address book, Direction of syncable items

Currently there is no clean way (besides doing your own db hacks) to switch to a new server without your users noticing the lost settings.

Georg

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 23.05.2022 17:17 >>>
That's the way I do major upgrades of GMS.
I use an Access Manager to front end it, so I only have to repoint the proxy to the new server.
If the devices connect to the server directly, you can repoint DNS to the new server (assumes it uses the same name...) and make sure it has the same public cert installed.
The only possible point of contention might be user address books. That can get a little sticky for the users that have a lot of them.
Presumably you would know who those users are and plan for it.
You can continue to use the old server as a guide for a little while if you need to tweak the new one a bit.
I might recommend using a new trusted app object so you can remove the old on when you are finished.
It may help when you clean up the SOAP queues afterward. Not really necessary, but nice to have a differentiator.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Ian Young" <iyoung at graphic.plc.uk> 5/23/2022 8:13 AM >>>
Hi All,

For reasons I'm far to embarrassed to talk about our GMS server is version 14.2.2. I have built a new one at 18.4 and configured it identically to our current server. Can I just swap them out and know one will notice?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Ian
Ian Young
IT Manager
Extension 364
DDI - 01363 778764

Ian Young
Job Title
m:  | t:364
e: IYoung at graphic.plc.uk

Graphic PLC
t: +44 (0)1363 774874 | w: https://us-east-2.protection.sophos.com?d=graphic.plc.uk&u=d3d3LmdyYXBoaWMucGxjLnVr&i=NjA0NDc1YzlkYWExY2IwZjUzNjc4NWM3&t=TDRFWFJIS1F0TlppamRkd28wZnpINnU1MUZSNzFiTndjUms1VFlpZ0M1bz0=&h=9efd7dfcc338444c9d0710163d8c8621

a: Down End, Lords Meadow Industrial Estate, Crediton, Devon, EX17 1HN, UK

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use the contents nor disclose them to any other person, and you are requested to notify the sender and delete the email.

Please note that design advice is given in good faith and without prejudice. Graphic cannot be held responsible for any product failure, or if systems do not perform as expected. Information given is for the use of the recipient only and others within their organisation; it should not be given to a third party without express authorisation from Graphic plc.

ITAR regulations stipulate that customers must inform their suppliers if their products are subject to ITAR regulations. If no mention of the ITAR regulations is made on the quote request or the order then Graphic PLC will assume that the ITAR regulations do not apply.

Ian Young
IT Manager
t: +44 (0)1363 778764
e: IYoung at graphic.plc.uk | s: graphic-ian.young